Thursday, November 27, 2008

Nokia N810 and e-books

The gadgets that a Science Fiction Romance author can't do without.


The loverliest new toy, the Nokia N810. Love it. Love it. Love it.
Only drawback for me is that my previous mobile device was a PocketPC, so my ebooks with DRM are in Microsoft Reader .Lit format. The N810 has a Linux operating system, so no way to view all my older ebooks without hacking.
FYI: We have both the N800 & N810, but the N810 has a slideout Querty keyboard (I don't really like on-screen keyboards), and a GPS. So, I prefer the N810.


Kindle and the Sony Reader don't do it for me. The N810 is a powerful little PC right in my hand. I can surf the web. I can update my blog, check facebook, take pictures & videos, get driving directions, and I could even make phone calls if I had a wireless plan (which I didn't get, but I can still make calls on it if I'm in a WiFi hotspot). The list goes on. So far, I've mostly shopped stores that provide the formats I can use on the N810.

My last purchase was from Samhain Publishing: Duality by Renee Wildes. This is a fantasy romance written by a talented friend. Wonderful book with excellent reviews. So, run out, get the N810 and load it up with Duality, and in January, book two of the Guardians of the Light, Hedda's Sword. I was able to surf over to the Samhain site, buy, download, and read the book, all on the N810.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In addition to having a very capable computer in my pocket for Internet activities, it's also my constant companion and assistant. I've installed the GPE PIM applications complete with calendar synch with Google. Boingo calles the N810 a mobile device and only charges $7.95 per month for WiFi. That covers Starbucks -- I'm a freelance in heavan.

Anonymous said...

George, thanks for stopping by. And, I'm going to check out the $7.95 a month plan. When we first got the N810, none of the plans out there were very attractive, but if this one would cover me, I'd be a happy, happy camper.

--Lori

The Phoenix Warrior

FF&P OTFS 2007 Winner