Friday, October 3, 2008

Acer Aspire X3200 Mini-Desktop

The gadgets that a Science Fiction Romance author can't do without.



This week after reading reviews including one from Boing Boing, we schlepped down to Best Buy and bought the Acer Aspire X3200. We'd been wanting an HTPC (Home Theater PC) for grabbing over-the-air digital TV (HD DVR). It has all the necessary requirements: support for HD, quiet, doesn't run hot, processor power, DVD burner, HDMI, and more. Did I say QUIET? Can't stress this enough. This is quiet. It comes with Vista, which yes, I prefer for this use since it comes with Media Center built in (it has all the TV guide schtuff). This is also a sleek, powerful system for desktop use as well. Affordable, but with all the bells and whistles.

Under $500 with tax.
Out of box & connected to TV in no time.
I love this machine. It's a sweet little thing.
I'm now watching free HDTV from my local stations. I can record TV without paying subscription fees. We're using a preview Pinnacle PCTV HD mini stick tuner with this. I love that, too. I'll be posting about that one next.

No comments:

The Phoenix Warrior

FF&P OTFS 2007 Winner